Monday, July 16, 2007

It was one year ago today...



...that Amy and I got engaged. It was such a long-running joke (sometimes warm, sometimes awkward) that Amy and I were "married" already, that I'm surprising no one by saying I feel like there's nothing more Amy could do to feel like a spouse post-August 18 than she does already, but I suppose that's we signed up to find out!

In my life this year I've had my fair share of highs (Katie's wedding especially!) and lows (the lowest, of course, being losing my Grandma back in May), and not only can I say Amy's been a rock for me with all of that, but she fully shared all of it with me. They were her highs and lows too, and I find that amazing.

***
Given the amount of material we've generated for this wedding blog, there hasn't been all that much about how we got here, so here's a little story.

July 2006. We had been planning to go up to Maine for awhile, but I had to work a little longer, so Amy took Martin and drive up ahead to York Beach to stay with her Dad. The next day (?), I left work early and got on a bus to go to Portsmouth, New Hampshire. I probably should have just taken a plane, because I ended up getting stranded in Boston and having to rent a car to drive up the last hour north, but being on the bus gave me a chance to write a letter to Amy about getting engaged.

That night we stayed in York Beach, and the next morning, I took Martin to the beach (While watching the dog run around I sent John Southard a text saying "I'm in Maine," btw). Then we packed up and drove up the coastal highway, stopping at Red's Eats, then taking the late ferry out to Islesford (just like we did last week!)


Sunday the 16th, we got up on Islesford and took the ferry into Acadia National Park, where we spent the day climbing over rocks, having fun, taking pictures with our digital camera (many of which are dotted all over our website today) (more here), and getting ready for camping at Blackwoods Campground.

Campsite #110. We had all the gear but we (I) wasn't the most competent camper. So I let Amy set up the tent and everything else, and I documented her efforts on the digital camera. Then I suggested that, instead of trying to cook over a fire, we drive into Bar Harbor and try a restaurant Corbett and Laura had suggested.

The West Street Cafe. Amy got the Early Bird lobster special, which entailed donning a lobster bib. I began teasing her about the bib.

Amy said, "Fine, I'll take it off!"

I said, "No, keep it on, and if you wear it the rest of the night, I'll think of a reward."

Amy said, "Deal, but the reward better be good!"


I smiled to myself at that! So we finished dinner, and drove back to the campsite. On the way we picked up some firewood, and Sunday NY Times to use as kindling (you wouldn't think I would need an entire Sunday Times to start a fire, but let me remind you I'm an incompetent camper!)

Back at the campsite. Everything is set up, and Amy is tired of wearing her silly lobster bib.

Amy said, "Can I take this off now? You owe me a reward!"

I said, "Okay, but let me take a few photos of you in the bib for posterity's sake."

So I did--they capture the last thirty seconds of Amy's life as a non-engaged person. So I finished taking the shots, and went to put the camera away.

Amy said, "Wait! Let me see how the pictures turned out!"

Here's where I had done something clever (don't call it a gimmick!) Back when Amy was setting up the tent, I had snuck off and taken a picture of myself holding a sign proposing marriage to her. (We still have that photo, of course, but as far as I know Amy's never let anyone else see it.) So when Amy started scrolling back through the photos, she eventually, climatically, came across this one.

Amy, stunned, crying, said, "Is this for me?" (!)

I said, "Well, will you?"


She said yes! And that's how we got engaged. The next day we thought we'd go to the top of Cadillac Mountain to see if we could call our families with the news. No luck (Please note, wedding guests: Acadia has very poor reception for everyone except AT&T/Cingular customers. This is how I justified buying an iPhone!)

Because we couldn't tell anybody, we spent the whole day with our special secret to ourselves. That night we went back to Islesford and told Dan and Cynthia and all of the patrons of the Islesford Dock Restaurant--the same place, of course, where we are having the reception. It was only the next morning, towards Bangor, that we got enough reception to contact our families and friends, i.e., all of you, and we spent the rest of our trip back celebrating and thinking about coming back to Maine for the wedding.