Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I'm In, Maine!

Ned reminds me of a funny story where last summer, John sent around an email inviting people over for a Bastille Day celebration/excuse for drinking. John was perplexed when I didn't show up, because I had earlier sent him a reply email back saying, "I'm in, man."

Except that's not what the email said. John had misread it because I was actually just telling him "I'm in Maine." Which I was. You see, that was the same weekend Amy and I got engaged up in Acadia.

Anyway, it was a funny misreading and kinda fun to say. It briefly became de rigueur (at least between the two of us, if not anyone else) to respond to any invitation with the affirmation that "I'm in, Maine," splitting the difference between the two readings. As in: I'm in, Maine, and John's in, Maine!